Sunday, January 5, 2014

Latest and Coolest Medium For Artists!

30 in 30 Day Challenge Day 5
"Forest Through The Trees"
I received a great question yesterday on my facebook page about what medium I'm using for my latest creations, so I thought I would address it here as well. I've talked about it when I first started using them in October, but silly me....that was a long time ago and if you just started reading my blog (Thank You by the way!) you probably missed it.
So here's the skinny...I'm using one of the latest and coolest mediums for artists, (so I hear) although I didn't know it at the time.  I came across it via trial and error. I had seen other artists use watercolors in this way and noticed the colors being blown over papers with straws, but when I did it...the colors just weren't intense enough for what I was looking for.
Off to the art supply store I went and picked up a bunch of different products trying them all out. Cost me a fortune...so let me tell you what worked best before you spend all your money! 
Here's the secret....Alcohol Ink's (which are used for stamping on glass or tiles). I tried them with many different papers, but the only kind I could find that would not just BLOT and Dry on the paper was YUPO paper. It's a synthetic glossy paper and I could only find it from online stores like Dick Blick.
It's really fun and has intense color! I use a pouring method, so it's very hard to control the inks and honestly....you really have no idea what the outcome will be, but I think that's what I enjoy most about it. Shapes and idea's start to emerge...similar to using clear plastic wrap in watercolors. This is were true creativity is allowed to emerge!
You can use your brush to manipulate the ink's somewhat, but not enough to really PAINT (where you want it to go), because it continues to move while it dries. 
My plan is to work on a video to show you all how I do it.....but that may have to be after the 30 in 30 challenge! So please stay posted and thanks again for stopping by! Feel free to head over on the right side of the blog to follow my work! 
Seeing The Forest Through The Trees
New Years always makes us process and think over the past year. It's a time to look back to see what we have accomplished and to look ahead to the future!
You can see more of my work in my online Daily Paint Works Gallery

$50- 5x7"


 
 

No comments:

My Top 10 Gift Ideas for Watercolor Artists

It's hard to believe that we are heading into the holiday season again, but it will be nice to decorate and relax with your family and f...