Saturday, May 20, 2017

Painting A Pet Portrait in Watercolors and Gouache - Husky Dog



"Mason"
Husky Dog
Commission Pet Portrait
10x10" Watercolor/Gouache


I have completed a number of Pet portraits, but these blue eyes are one of my favorites.

Here's a little glimpse of my progress along the way.
I start with the eye's and nose, and then light washes around the fur and ears. Once those are dry I build upon those washes and darken them. The final touches are the layers and layers with a fine brush detailing in all the fur.




One of my go to supplies while painting is the OttLite with the little magnify glass, it gives of great natural lighting and I can see all the little fur strokes on my pet portraits, although I do use this light for all my paintings! I'll post a link for the light down below for you.


For "Mason" the husky I only used 2 brushes. A number 1 Arists water colour sable rigger brush by Winsor and Newton and a fine liner brush.

Below is the original reference photograph of Mason that the client emailed to me. 
He's a beautiful Husky don't you think!


Here is the link for the OttLite

No comments:

My Top 10 Gift Ideas for Watercolor Artists

It's hard to believe that we are heading into the holiday season again, but it will be nice to decorate and relax with your family and f...