Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Watercolor money saver masking hack!



Not sure if you feel the same way, but summers always tend to be my downtime creatively.
I am definitely not lazy, just enjoying my family, the outdoors, and my gardens. The lupines have gone by and are just about to turn to seed so I can replant soon. 

I've been testing out something pretty cool this week! 

You know that masking fluid is pretty expensive and comes in the smallest jars right? Well, I thought I would give regular old monster latex a try in place of my Winsor and newton masking. I decided to use some Strathmore watercolor cards to start. Tested both of them three ways just to make sure. 



1. For the first test I let both the winsor and monster dry naturally on the paper. 
2. I used a heat gun to dry ( I wanted to see if it would adhere to the paper and not come off as easy.
3. Let the masking dry and sit for over a week before I attempted to remove it. 

You can watch the new money-saving test that I did with Monster Liquid Latex vs. Winsor Newton masking, it worked great. 

Watch the video over on my youtube channel. 

It's a huge saving. (16 oz of Monster is $12.95 vs 16 oz of Winsor Masking would be over $85.00.)






Well during that test, I felt the urge to paint from this gorgeous reference photo that my friend, Benjamin Williamson took (which you can purchase by the way if you don't want to paint it).

This painting is loose and fun, and I hope you'll join me and paint along. I've added it as a new course on my website, and it will be going up on skillshare soon if you are a member there. 

Hope to see you inside the course! 

XOXO,
Kellie 

No comments:

My Top 10 Gift Ideas for Watercolor Artists

It's hard to believe that we are heading into the holiday season again, but it will be nice to decorate and relax with your family and f...