Friday, May 29, 2020

June's Art Exploration color theme is the color pearl!



June's Art Exploration color theme is the color pearl! First, of all I want to mention that my grandmother's name was Pearl and my aunt's name is Garnet. I think we had a theme going here. 

So what color is pearl?  Kind of a hard one to describe I would say? Is it really a color or is it just that reflection or smooth and creamy shine that it gives off?



Here's what white stands for - Purity, Truth, Dreamer, Innocence, Simplicity, Cleanliness, Faith, Honesty, Peace etc.... and according to Wiki Pedia "the color pearl is a pale tint of off white. It is a representation of the average color of a pearl. The first recorded use of a pearl as a color name in English was in 1604. The color used in interior design when an off-white tint is desired. 



Now you may ask, how do I use that with watercolors?
Today I explored Winsor newton's Iridescent Medium, and it really made a shiny impact with my watercolors. Just a touch of this goes a long way and it really does give a lovely pearly look to a painting. You can use it mixed with the watercolors to create shine with any color or use it on top of a watercolor wash.



You can see after the watercolor has dried, I added the medium on top of the color wash.



So I decided to create some more jewelry pieces, and since we are giving it some shine it inspired me to create some mermaid earrings this week. You may remember my recent live stream on youtube and blog post about my leaf earrings? I'm using the same process to create these fun mermaid earrings. I used a little black sharpie to create some scales. 



I added the UV resin on each side and did find that since they are longer and not as wide they did curl a bit more, but I was okay with that. Reminds me of a little mermaid fin.


Drilled a small hole near the top and added a jump ring and hook, fun quick and easy! You can see the shine a bit better in the Video, so make sure to check that out. 

So many options with Pearl. Make sure to check out  Lisa Hedrick and Jessica Sanders video's this week, they will show you a few other ways to use the color pearl this month. 

We are all about exploring art, and would love to have you join us in the Art Exploration Facebook group, it's FREE and we are covering a new color each month for the year of 2020.  

No comments:

My Top 10 Gift Ideas for Watercolor Artists

It's hard to believe that we are heading into the holiday season again, but it will be nice to decorate and relax with your family and f...