Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Krylon UV spray over Alcohol Ink Tile Outside Test - Personal Results




So last week I posted about testing my Art Resin Tile outside, and the terrific results it produced.  But this week I wanted to check to see how Krylon's UV spray (2 light coats) would hold up.  Here is my tile before the test. I used 2 light coats of Kamar to seal first. The tile then sat outside (same place as the Art Resin Tile) in my backyard where it received a full days of direct Maine sunlight. 

I pulled the tile down and photographed it again inside after 1 full week and here's what it looks like now. As you can see from the photo below, it has definitely faded.  Especially noticeable in the lighter areas of color. 



I decided to add another tile half way in because Plum or pinks seem to be hit the hardest with fading and I can confirm that.  (Kamar 2 light coats and 2 light coats of Krylon UV Spray)

Tile outside beginning of Day 1



After only 3 days 


Of course these are extreme measures as Most art will be inside!

Please note these are just simple tests that I as an artist am curious about....and I am sharing my personal results with you. So Please, if you have done some testing on your own and you would like to share your results, by all means feel free to post in the comments. ;)

**Here is what Art Resin has to say about the UV stabilizers in their product.

  • **"We have several months worth of data that shows that ArtResin does not yellow even slightly when exposed outdoors to natural UV light. We do not yet know whether these results indicate ArtResin is safe for outdoor use for years and years—the test continues! We are encouraged by the promising results thus far, and in fact we are not surprised by the results either. ArtResin® contains advanced UV and Hindered Amine Light Stabilizers to protect it from degradation caused by UV light." 


There is also an interesting 3rd party test video that was conducted for many different brands of Resins. Their UV yellowing results are very interesting. Now of course with most of us Alcohol Inkers it's more about not fading, but  yellowing can change the colors of our art and it is important. 

Artists - Always Be Testing!
Update: Test #2 UV Krylon Spray Test see the results Here
              Test #3 Testing Art Resin with Wild Plum Alcohol Ink Here.

Also make sure to check out my other posts on using art resin if you are new....you may find a few helpful tips.



No comments:

My Top 10 Gift Ideas for Watercolor Artists

It's hard to believe that we are heading into the holiday season again, but it will be nice to decorate and relax with your family and f...