Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Art Resin on Tiles - UV TEST


Art Resin had a built in UV stabilizer and I wanted to share my test with you as to how well it worked for me.  

Love the clear glassy appearance that Art resin creates on tiles.
Here is what I started out with - I created this tile using Alcohol Inks on a smooth white glossy tile from Home Depot. Now if you are new to alcohol inks you can use them on tiles or Yupo, mineral paper, canvas, and lots of other materials. For those of you that have worked with inks understand the pain staking process of sealing them and then being scared that they may fade over time.

INSIDE TEST

If you keep your Inks out of the sun or UV rays and seal them they are much better and Ranger inks are working on better fade resistant. I personally have paintings on tile and on Yupo that are out of direct sunlight that have not faded in my home.



Art Resin works great giving the tile a wonderful glass like shine and really makes your image pop ! I've been using it with cold and hot drinks without any problems. Hot cups up to 120 F are fine, but do not use them as a trivet.


Note that sometimes your cups will create a vacuum seal under the cup so be careful when lifting or you may take the tile with your cup and when it let's go, hold your breathe because it will drop on your toes, or to the ground and well you can image how that may turn out. Crash - New tile please!

OUTSIDE TEST

The real test - First, I have tried a test tile outside in the sun with a few spray coats of Kamar, sad to say that it only lasted about 1 hour. The fading was so bad I could no longer see the painting or colors. Results inside the home as I said are great, so I wanted to try it outside.




 2 coats of Kamar varnish and one coat of Art Resin - I set the tile outside in the direct Maine Sunshine - it gets about 8 straight hours on intense sunshine here.



Here is what the tile looked like after 2 full weeks of being outside - pretty happy to share this result, I'm giving this a solid 10 - it looks like day one!

Want to try Art Resin yourself - here is the referral link to a few different sized kits.
Art Resin Regular Kit
Art Resin Large Kit

Someone asked about UV spray, I'm currently testing the results for Krylon spray and will post the results here next week.

Update: Test #2 UV Krylon Spray Test see the results here
              Test #3 Testing Art Resin with Wild Plum Alcohol Ink Here.

I lost the video on my iphone for the Wild plum test, but I did manage to post it to my students private (I took a screen shot for you) group after a week longer in the sun and here are those results:



No comments:

My Top 10 Gift Ideas for Watercolor Artists

It's hard to believe that we are heading into the holiday season again, but it will be nice to decorate and relax with your family and f...